Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Would you have been able to use civil disobedience and non-violence?

I think this is a great way to protest. Not using violence, but using civil disobedience, is a good way to show others that you feel life is unfair without hurting anyone. However, I don't think I would have been able to participate. I would be too scared. When people, even young people, practiced civil disobedience, there was bloodshed. People got hurt, killed, and arrested. I don't think I would have been able to face that. So much violence came out of what started as non-violent. On the march from Selma to Montgomery, even though it was meant to be peaceful, people who opposed segregation tried to injure, kill, and arrest those who were involved. I would not have been able to handle this - I don't have that kind of amazing courage.

No comments: